- Program Basics
- Virtual Classes >
- Bit By Bit Stables: For the Love of Horses
- Cedar Lodge Stables
- Caliridge Farm: Equine Care and Horsemanship
- Red Bud Gypsies Ranch
- Circle C Stables
- Ground Zero: Exploring Equine Education
- Ground Zero: Mounted Archery
- Patsy Little: Horse Care and Management
- Birchbank Farm: Hobby Farm Life
- Spring Creek Equestrian Center
- Sketching Class: Greek Architecture
- Buchanan Art Center
- Ceramics/Pottery >
- Creative Design with Robert Ritzenthaler
- Design Street in Plainwell
- Drawing and Painting Classes: see tabs >
- Jewelry /Beadwork >
- FLC: Art and Culture Around the World
- Ground Zero: Archery Art
- GVNCP: Nature and Community Arts
- Krasl Art Center
- Photography and Videography >
- Glass >
- Water Street Glassworks >
- Business and Finance >
- Chess >
- Dance: Fine Arts >
- CTE: Career and Technical Education
- Drama >
- Family Adventure Trips >
- Field Trips
- Foreign Languages >
- Humanities >
- Music Lessons: Independent Music Study >
Music Lessons: Group
- Be in a Band: Jon Whidden
- Berrien Springs Public School - Band or Choir
- Dave Carlock's FRS Program
- Jazz & Creative Institure - Kalamazoo
- Citadel : Kindermusik
- Lake Michigan Youth Orchestra
- The Music Academies - Niles
- School of American Music
- West Michigan Homeschool Fine Arts
- Shoreline Music Classes
- Nature/Environment >
- Gymnastics >
- Martial Arts
Physical Fitness & Sports
- Swim and Gym Locations
- Swim Lessons/Swim Teams >
- Technology >
- Vocational Education >
- Dual Enrollment / CTE
- Meet your Mentor
- Contacts / Resources
Project Based Learning Electives provided by the Berrien Springs Virtual Academy
Loonling Learning Family Adventure Trip Spring 2020
Sailing and Exploring the Manitou Passage area ***CLASS CANCELED***
Family Education in the outdoors
South Manitou Island, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Tall Ship Schooner, Inland Seas
Trip Dates: Aug 2 - 6
Pre trip meeting dates Monday January 27, 6:00PM March 23, May 18, Location TBD
Three nights camping on South Manitou Island, A wilderness area of the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore. One night at Inland Seas dorms in Suttons Bay, MI
Charter sail on the School Ship, Inland Seas
ROV Remote Operated underwater vehicle program, Science and Engineering.
Climb a historic lighthouse
Explore deep cedar swamps, graveyards,
Visit historic island farms and one room school
Learn about geology, water quality, great lakes history, sailing ships, wilderness ecology, careers in the outdoors, forestry, agriculture, navigation, wilderness travel and more.
Leaders: Colleen and Tom Hurst
- Ages 7 and up (must be a good walker)
- Parent required to participate, full family is encouraged.
- Non partnership member, $700.00
- Parents cost $400.00.
- Counts as two classes
- Minimum 20 participants, Maximum 37 Including parents
- Tents, cooking gear provided,
- Each participant needs good hiking shoes, sleeping bag, sleeping pad personal clothing, raincoat, hats etc.
- First night is at the Inland Seas educational center in Suttons Bay, MI. Dorms with beds.
- Three nights camping on South Manitou island.
- All vessels are US Coast Guard approved and fully insured for this type of program.
- Tom is a Wilderness First Responder Medic
Your leaders: Tom and Colleen have many years experience leading outdoor trips for youth and adults. Recent programs include local nature classes, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Isle Royale adventures, the Adirondacks, Utah Canyon Country and New River Gorge Recreation Area. A program of Loonling Learning.
Aug 2nd: Meet in Suttons Bay Michigan by 1:00 PM for 2:00PM sail on the schooner Inland Seas. Dinner in Suttons bay as a group or on your own. Sleep in Suttons Bay at SchoolShip dormitories.
Aug 3rd: AM Remote operated vehicle workshop and in water activities at Inland Seas.
Lunch then free time and travel to Leland Michigan about 20 Minutes and board the Manitou Passage Ferry by 1:30 PM. Travel to S. Manitou, set up camp, Dinner, Evening on the beach.
Aug 4, 5: Island activities weather flexible. Hikes, lighthouses, cemeteries, farms, school, beaches, cedar groves.
Aug 6: Breakfast in camp, Strike camp and pack for return voyage. Explore village, Depar for Leland at 11:30 AM. Arrive Leland by 1:00PM, Depart for home.
Links: Inland Seas http://schoolship.org/
South Manitou Island http://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/southmanitouisland.htm
*Please note: it is important to make as informed a decision as possible when choosing your student's Community Resource classes. Most locations will allow a student to drop a class after one meeting, at no charge if it wasn't a good fit for the student, but not all. Some classes plan ahead based on the number that have signed up and have purchased materials, hired teachers, etc. and there might be a fee for class time or materials given to the student if the student drops after one or two meetings. The school cannot pay for classes that students do not complete, so choose wisely; if you do not take the class off of your student's schedule by the deadline, you may be asked to pay for the class time incurred prior to dropping the class.
Teacher of Record: Becky Halcombe (K-5) and Mark Ring (6-12)