- Program Basics
- Virtual Classes >
- Animal Husbandry >
- Birchbank Farm: Art Classes
- Buchanan Art Center
- Ceramics/Pottery >
- Creative Design with Robert Ritzenthaler
- Design Street in Plainwell
- Drawing and Painting Classes: see tabs >
- Jewelry /Beadwork >
- FLC: Art and Culture Around the World
- GVNCP: Backyard Art Zoom
- Krasl Art Center
- Photography and Videography >
- Glass >
- Water Street Glassworks >
- Chess >
- Dance: Fine Arts >
- CTE: Career and Technical Education
- Foreign Languages >
- Humanities >
- Life Skills >
- Nature/Environment >
- Technology >
- Vocational Education >
- Dual Enrollment / CTE
- Meet your Mentor
- Contacts / Resources
- Field Trips: Virtual Options
- Starlight Studio
Family Boat Building with Tom Hurst Spring 2017
Build a simple 14’ flat bottom canoe suitable for use on calm waters.
Build a boat, take it to the pond or river and go paddling.
In this class students will build a simple 14’ plywood and hardwood canoe. We will start with a stack of lumber and plywood, some screws and glue with assistance from clamps, epoxy and leave with a boat. Forming the parts will be by tradition and CNC woodworking, Boats will be assembled and stored in the shop until complete. Painting or clear finishes are applied at home. Our goal is an on water outing with completed boats by May..
Can this really be done in 5 classes? Absolutely. The instructor has built many boats from simple canoes such as these to fully rigged sea kayaks and sailboats. Any level of experience is acceptable from raw beginners to experienced woodworkers.
- At least 2 students per boat.
- Minimum age 12 unless accompanied by parent. Parent participation at any age is strongly encouraged. (thus the name Family Boat Building)
- Students may be friends, do not need to be related.
- If a parent and single child team there will be a $350 private pay rate for the parent.
- All materials are included.
- Timing: Wednesdays. February 1, 8, 15, 22, March 1 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM With a weather dependent time added for our on water activity. To be decided by group. Likely on a weekend in May
- Location: CHANGED to Lake Michigan College: Hanson Technology Center (separate brand new building on campus)
- Contact: Tom Hurst: firstname.lastname@example.org